This is a fun project to do with your 2.5+ year olds. The under 3 set will surely have fun with this, but it will be MUCH more about the process of exploring the materials and needing help from an adult or older sibling to string the “beads”. There are so many ways to use nature to create a nature necklace, but I will detail the method we used this time below.
- Tray or bowls for storing collected nature materials
- A necklace string (we used yarn and a big plastic needle for little hands to practice beading)
- Loose parts collected from nature. We used a stick that I sawed into chunks. The center was soft/dried out and was easily poked through with our plastic needle.
- Collect and set up the nature materials together.
- Model the possibilities of how to use the materials.
- Let your child build and explore (as long as they have the skills to bead).
We will be making many a nature necklace this summer. I hope you do, too! Have fun!