This process based art play is a great way for your 2-6 year old to explore texture. Loose parts from nature offer endless opportunities to experiment and create.
- Several tints/shades of the same washable tempera color (some on a tray for painting, some on a sponge in a bowl with a bit of water for printmaking)
- Divided tray of loose parts from nature
- Big paper taped to wall or table.
- Set up the art play invitation.
- Model the possibilities of how to use the materials
- Let your child explore.
I leave a project like this set up for an entire day. Mr. 3.5 leaves and comes back to it several times.
Process Over Product
Art play for children is about the process, not the product. When your child is “done”, the paper could look different than you envisioned it would. Celebrate their process as it is.