Painting objects is a reliable way to engage your 1.5+ year old with art play. It’s a great way to practice those developing fine motor skills. Since we used acrylic paint for this birdhouse, I wouldn’t recommend it for the under 3 set.
- Acrylic paint thinned with a bit of water
- Paint cups
- Protective paper (opened up grocery bags work well)
- Invite your child to choose 3-5 colors. Set them up in paint cups.
- Model how to use the materials and set boundaries (this is permanent, acrylic paint)
- Watch your child explore the materials and process of painting an object.
- After the birdhouse is dry, you can hang it together! Our bird house now has a nest in it, and we take great joy in watching the residents flit in and out of their home.
You can differentiate this project for younger siblings by giving them a paintbrush and water to “paint” with.