This is a fun project to do with your 3+ year olds. The under 3 set will surely have fun with this, but it will be MUCH more about the process of exploring the materials. There are so many ways to use nature to build a fairy/gnome house, but I will detail the method we used this time below.
- tray for storing collected nature materials
- a chunk of playdough or sticky mud
- loose parts collected from nature (we used moss, twigs, pine cones, stones, lichen and leaves).
- Collect and set up the nature materials together
- Model the possibilities of how to use the materials
- Let your child build and explore. We found hidden places outside to set our fairy houses when we were finished so the fairies and gnomes could enjoy them in secrecy.